Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Summing Up Trailers Part 2

I am back again to give you my opinion on the trailers for the movies that are coming our way. So dig it.

ECLIPSE TRAILER:

The third installment in that ever popular Twilight series. I think this trailer gives the Twihards just about everything they'd want: I mean we have Edward and Bella looking deep into each others eyes and declaring love for one another in a patch of the world's most beautiful flowers again. We got Jacob telling her how he is obviously a better match for her and she ignoring him again. We got Edward and Jacob arguing over Bella's well being again. We got the Volturi mad about Bella's non-vampirism (or as vampiric as these guys can be) again. We got Jacob's standard shirtless shot again...and many, many more to come I'm sure. Then we get that chick no one paid attention to in the last two movies coming back to paid attention to for the first time. Bravo vampire villain whose name I don't remember. Three things that actually do bother me about this trailer: first off the Volturi look ridiculous, all of the villains do (can't any of them go to Men's Warehouse or Kohl's?). Secondly, why do the vampires all have those oddly colored eyes, I mean the sparkle thing is annoying but that only makes them look like Ken dolls sprinkled with glitter. The eyes are just cartoonish though. Then lastly, there is a point in the trailer where Bella tells Jacob "you don't know what you're getting yourself into." I'm assuming the subject is the queen vampire's little army she's cooking up. But, this Jacob guy kills vampires, his whole family does. What does Bella do? She dates one, and gets threatened by all of the others. Why the hell is she telling Jacob to stay away, he's a little more vampire battle savvy than you are. I mean, come on. Okay, but back on point. If you are a fan of Twilight you will probably love this movie, or hate it depending on your opinions of adaptations. It looks okay, but then again I thought New Moon looked okay too and that was just obliterated by everyone. So yeah, I might take a rain check for now. At least until after I see New Moon.

IRON MAN 2 TRAILER 2:

I reviewed the first trailer, I know, but there has been a wider scale of promotion for the Iron Man sequel since that time. I remember the time when Iron Man 2's trailer just came out, it was around the time Avatar was about to be released. And I found people actually saying Iron Man 2 looked better than Avatar. After I was restrained and the world started making sense again, I found the whole new promotion for Iron Man 2. I come back to the same conclusion. We got villains played by Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell. Perfect. Don Cheadle replacing Terrance Howard as Jimmy Rhodes/War Machine. I'll miss Howard, but Cheadle is still awesome. Gweneth Paltrow and Scarlett Johannson as the ace vixens of the show. They are both superb actresses, and plus Gweneth Paltrow has always been beautiful and how could I pass up Scarlett Johannson as the black leather clad Black Widow. I can't. And of course we get awesome action and one-liners delivered by Robert Downey, Jr. in his destiny role as Iron Man. It looks really good, even better than the first.

THE A TEAM TRAILER 2:

Okay while looking better than the first trailer, I still can't help but think this is going to be lame. I mean sure if we suspend our beliefs and remember the good old days of the original A Team (not that I remember any) this movie could be really good. I'd see it for the actors. I mean sure Bradley Cooper is pretty good, all I know about Rampage Jackson is that he was on UFC or something, but it's got Liam Neeson (Schindler!!!) and Sharlto Copley (you know the badass office worker turned alien from District 9). I am kind of surprised it is being directed by Joe Carnahan, director of the extremely awesome movies Smokin' Aces and Narc. Maybe it could be okay. Not something I'd see in theatres, but okay nonetheless.

THE LOSERS TRAILER:

Why is this called The Losers? In the trailer they seem to be winning and leading very badass lives. Maybe they all die at the end, I don't know. Essentially this looks like a better version of The A Team movie coming out. It's got just as many good actors in it and the action looks just as superb. Okay who do we got: Jefferey Dean Morgan from Supernatural and Watchmen; Chris Evans, that decent actor who is starring in everything; Jason Patric, who might need a better agent but still hey Jason Patric; Zoe Saldana...well what more can I say. I mean I'm at least going to watch some of this movie if she is gonna be in it. One thing I like better than a gorgeous actress, is a gorgeous actress who can act and look good with a gun. Oh will the testosterone ever cease!? No. Also another one I don't want to see in theatres, but it looks pretty good. Though the fact that Hollywood is raiding every comic book store in America for graphic novel stories is kind of tedious.

THE EXPENDABLES TRAILER:

And finally the third A Team lookalike and ironically the one I want to see. Why? Because of the cast. Writing, directing, and starring is Sylvester Stallone. Sly Stallone is the leader of a league of the world's greatest mercenaries. Who are they? Jason Stathem, Jet Li, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews, and Randy Couture. They are hired to take down a small army of bad guys led by bigger bad guys. Who are they? Eric Roberts, Dolph Lundgren, and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. They are hired by some shady figures. Who are they? Bruce Willis and...wait for it...ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGAR!!! It must be 4/20 'cause I think I'm high!!! I know this may only be a cameo but so long has it been that I've seen Arnold on the screen. I watched this trailer and shouted out "YESSS!!!" The Expendables is essentially going to be a big action extravaganza in which the biggest badassess ever to appear on screen (with the exception of Christopher Walken, Al Pacino, Jackie Chan, Samuel L. Jackson, and the king himself Clint Eastwood) duke it out in a flurry of bullets and explosions. I don't care what it takes, this is a theatre movie. My inner child cries out for The Expendables, it really does.

PREDATORS TRAILER:

Finally, Predators get back to the jungle where they are killing people of my species, who I actually have sympathy for, instead of the xenomorphs from Alien. Alright I feel about Predators the same way I feel about The Expendables. But instead of just throwing a bunch of badasses into a movie and have them fight each other, it has them work together to fight the species that has badassary not only in their culture, but in their blood. The story is, a bunch of Earth's most lethal people are abducted and brought to an alien jungle planet. The only thing there it seems besides them are the Predators. Need I remind you that just one of these things killed several dozen commandos and almost killed the Govenator himself back in the '80s. Rounding out the cast is Adrien Brody as an American mercenary, Alice Braga as a Black Ops sniper, Laurence Fishburne as a veteran soldier, Danny Trejo as a drug trafficer, Topher Grace as a serial killer (seriously?), and some other guys I don't know as Russian and African mercs, a yakuza assassin, and a death row inmate. Do they stand a chance? Probably not, but it'll be fun seeing them go at it. This movie looks really good, even scary. I'd see it in theatres. Plus, you just gotta love a Predator. They may be some ugly motherfuckers but they are dedicated.

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET TRAILER 2:

It still looks like it will be pretty good. I mean sure they will do what every other remake of a horror movie these days does and rehash the same story with a few tweaks here and there. But I think this will be more along the lines of how The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was, where we get whole new elements and possibly even story and both are even better. Still it looks like the driving force behind this movie is Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Kruger. I swear to god his deep voice is due to the fact that his larynx came from that of the Grim Reaper. Sure he still sounds like Rorschach from Watchmen, but Rorschach from Watchmen was scary as hell and he was the good guy. It could be fun, but, knowing my disappointments with the last few remakes, I will wait for DVD.

PEACOCK TRAILER:

Now this looks bizarre. But my kind of bizarre. I read about this before seeing the trailer, and it honestly sounded like it was going to be a comedy. The story is about a secretive accountant played by Cillian Murphy (you know, Scarecrow from Batman Begins) who dons an alternate identity in the privacy of his home. While out and about he is the quiet husband nobody has a problem with. While at home he is a homemaker wife who takes care of the house and never sees anybody. His sex life must be far less complicated than most marriages. But a train comes crashing into his yard and everyone sees him as her. They assume he is just the wife he never told anyone about. But now everything's gone out of control as Murphy's tries to keep up appearances as both husband and wife, even while the wife personality is growing unstable. Rounding out the cast is Ellen Page, Susan Sarandon, Josh Lucas, Keith Carradine, and Bill Pullman. Awesome. It looks like it will be a really smart and intense movie. I'd definitely see it.

EAT PRAY LOVE TRAILER:

Who doesn't want to see a movie where Julia Roberts seeks out her independance by going traveling across the world by herself and finding peace? Maybe most of the male audience but that's beside the point. The movie looks decent, but the trailer doesn't give much to be excited about other than Julia Roberts, who has not acted in too many movies lately. It's not that she's a bad actress, she's a great actress, but just not in as high of demand as she was in the '90s. Not a theatre movie for me, but I might watch it some other time. It might be up to you girls to watch Eat Pray Love.

KNIGHT AND DAY TRAILER:

This looks cheesy, but fun just the same. Mainly due to its two leads: Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. Cruise is an allegedly framed spy who is being hunted by his own people and Diaz tags along via coincidence I suppose. It looks to be an action packed rom com that I might have to catch on DVD sometime. Cameron Diaz is always delightful, as well as being my first idea of what a very attractive woman looks like (I am a huge fan of The Mask.) and Tom Cruise sort of belongs in comedies after Tropic Thunder. I mean my god, he is freakin' genius. So yeah, Knight and Day looks pretty good.

UNTHINKABLE TRAILER:

This is going to be a propaganda movie somehow. I mean sure it looks pretty good, but I can't help myself but think it is just for some political message. The story is an American terrorist (played by Michael Sheen) is arrested after revealing he has planted bombs in major American cities. A problem solver (played by Samuel L. Jackson) is brought in to get the information on the bombs out of the terrorist by any means necessary. You know what that means. Jack Bauer time. Meanwhile a diplomatic agent pleads for the terrorist's rights. This can either be a movie carrying a message of torture being good or a message of torture being bad. I don't know. Performances look promising and suspense is guarenteed, but I just don't know.

THE OTHER GUYS TRAILER:

The Other Guys looks like the Cop Out movie I wanted to see. The comedy actually looks comedic. We got Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg as two mismatched partners of course who try to make names for themselves in their precinct and be like the two true badass cops in the building who are played by Samuel L. Jackson and The Rock. We see a lot of scenes of comedy that just steal the breath with laughter. It looks like it's going to be very good. From the guys who brought us Anchorman and Step Brothers. How can we go wrong? Well a lot of ways, but The Other Guys still looks great.

THE LAST AIRBENDER TRAILER:

I didn't watch the show, so I can't really spectulate as to whether it looks to follow it or not. I'm told the show was kind of fun loving and goofy, while this movie looks really dramatic. Unfortunately they couldn't wrestle away the film's true "Avatar: The Last Airbender" title from James Cameron. It was for a good cause. I don't really know much about the plot, but it looks to be some kind of fantasy war of the mystical where a prophesized boy will lead a rebellion against some sort of "dark side" we'll say. It doesn't look half bad. It looks pretty excting actually, and I'm the one who thought Clash of the Titans looked lame. The Last Airbender is going to be directed by M. Night Shyamalan, a talented filmmaker who needs a movie like this to pick his career up. I'm just one of those people out there who has not given up hope for Shyamalan after The Happening. The guy who made The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs can't be a bad filmmaker. It's just not true. But yeah, Airbender looks cool.

INCEPTION TRAILER 2:

Though we get about as much story from this trailer as we do from the first, Inception still comes out looking like the best thing coming this year. Apparently the story involves a team of corporate thieves (led by Leonardo Dicaprio) who steal sensitive information and secrets by entering dreams, a skill that is both highly effective and extremely dangerous. But I guess these thieves come across something especially interesting in one mind in particular. With scenes of a city folding on top of itself and water shooting out and hanging in the air on a ceiling, this looks like it will be a science fiction thriller only modern film genius Christopher Nolan could think up. I am pumped for this movie than any other. Watch the trailer, it will mess with your head.

Well that has been my second issue of trailer sum ups. I know I left a few out but I feel the ones I did include would be satisfactory. We have a lot of different movies to look forward to. Now we play the waiting game. Thanks for reading.

No comments: