Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Scream Lantern

Okay I've watched two new trailers that have just recently come out. And they both originate from very pop culture friendly franchises. The trailer for the superhero movie The Green Lantern, and the fourth installment of the Scream horror series. I will review both.

THE GREEN LANTERN

"Green Lanterns are supposed to be fearless, but I'm not." - Hal Jordan

Okay, so awhile back actor Ryan Reynolds was propositioned to star in the lead of either one of two superhero movies: one was as the classic DC Comics super friend Green Lantern, the other as Marvel Comics' infamous snarky anti-hero Deadpool, whom he played briefly in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. To our disappointment, he went with Green Lantern (I won't give up hope on a Deadpool movie though).

Now watching the trailer for The Green Lantern, I couldn't help but be reminded of a Marvel superhero who was in a movie (actually two) recently. The Human Torch from Fantastic Four. I mean Reynolds plays Hal Jordan, a US military pilot who spends his literal down time slacking, bedding beautiful women, and being a jokester (Flame on!). But when stranded in the desert, Jordan comes into contact with an extraterrestrial spacecract, manned by a wounded member of The Green Lantern Corps. Dying, the alien gives Jordan his ring of power (not the Tolkien one, people) and bestows upon him the title of Green Lantern. Not having enough time to register this dick move, Jordan starts learning of his powers as a GL, meets up with a whole society full of others, finds a nemesis in a strange looking Peter Skarsgaard, and a romance in Blake Lively's character who as near as I can tell is playing a bad actress (drum tap).

I will say that the story looks fairly decent and Reynolds, one of this century's best young actors, is really good and believeable as ever as Green Lantern. And surprisingly the Green Lantern suit, which is completely CGI, was better than I expected. It's not great and it's clearly CG, but it is just better. Most of the CGI I'm seeing in this does look pretty damn stupid. It's straight out of Phantom Menace-land, a term I very often say as of this post. That and... (sigh) Blake Lively. I mean come on, Blake, you just blew me away in The Town, you are a decent albeit sexy actress, you only have two lines in this trailer, and you bring my expectations down 25%? Don't be as bad as this trailer suggests.

So yeah, I may end up seeing this at some point and I may not. It's just iffy for the moment.

Now, onto...

SCREAM 4

"There's something really scary about a guy with a knife who just...snaps." - whoever the hell Kristen Bell is playing

So after another apparantly horrible outing behind the writer and director's with the recent My Soul to Take, sometime horror master Wes Craven teams up with screenwriter Kevin Williamson again for a fourth Scream movie. Before I begin, let me say that I love the Scream trilogy. They are smart, funny, suspenseful, and very intense modern horror movies. I still enjoy the hell out of watching them. That being said, this new movie looks like shit.

The lines presented appear horrible, the acting appears horrible, and whatever story they've tried to hash out appears horrible. They've got most of the principle cast members back: Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courtney Cox, and the iconic Ghostface voice Roger L. Jackson. None of them feel right. There is also quite a few new additions to the cast of course. Emma Roberts and Hayden Panetierre appear to be either sexy new heroines or cannon fodder for the killer. Kristen Bell and Anna Paquin, both really good actresses, seem to be playing...well, blondes as far as I can tell. Rory Culkin and the lead singer of Crash and the Boys from Scott Pilgrim are playing what I'm calling the Twin Randys, cause all they do is explain the new horror movie survival rules. Adam Brody is here as well, he's usually good, though I don't know if this will help.
So yeah, it looks bad. Unless there's a theatrical trailer that will come out and prove me wrong, I'm gonna be very pissed off about this movie. Why? Because I had high hopes for it, even after My Soul to Take's negative reviews. This looks like a franchise ruiner. Old characters and eye candy aside, it is still probably gonna be horrible. I guess maybe it's because Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson can only have so few successes in the film industry. I mean Wes Craven has made some spectacular films like A Nightmare on Elm St., Serpent and the Rainbow, People Under the Stairs, and Red Eye, but I'm told he's made a lot more bad movies that I was lucky enough to stay away from. And Kevin Williamson was a good writer, but the first two Screams and Dawson's Creek creator credit doesn't save him for Cursed, another Craven fail as well. I mean, goddamn, the trailer looks like a low rent film by the guys who made Meet the Spartans, but like if they were trying to take it seriously. No way, not for me. I just hope I'm wrong and the movie is somehow glorious.

So yeah, check out these trailers and soak em up and see what you think because I know where I stand. One looks decent, one looks disquieting. Have a ball.

This has been some polarized trailer reviewing from Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading.

No comments: