Thursday, June 23, 2011

Clique Clique Boom

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals. And you know it." - Agent K

As a high school student, I know a thing or two about cliques. I think the term is a bit broader than most people think these days. Fortunately this isn't a movie so members of the 'jock clique' don't harrass the 'nerd clique' with relentless sadism. The 'material girl' doesn't try to walk all over the 'plain girl.' If things like that do happen, it is not done as over the top as movies would portray us. We aren't archetypes, we are people and the way people feel about others is always different. Plus, a lot of regular people don't care enough about what another group is doing to try and go out of their way to do something to them.

I will say that certain cliques really do embody what it means to be a clique. Because cliques are essentially groups of like minded people who interact with each other more frequently than most classmates. Obviously, similar personalities means they are going to exert a certain tone and mood. It doesn't mean the people in those cliques will keep to themselves and look down upon everyone else. Unless someone's just a major asshole, most people will just judge individuals based on their personalities rather than the company they keep.

A clique is not necessarily a group of one single archetype. Sure there will be similar personalities, but if that's the case it's because people prefer like-minded friends. This isn't always the case either, so I'm not sure how to put it. What I do is try to find people who I am comfortable around. Who don't try to belittle me or piss me off. But you can be friends with anyone you want to be. Cliques don't matter, in my opinion.

This has been my thoughts from Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading.

No comments: