Sunday, December 20, 2009

Goodbye Brittney Murphy

Yet another one bites the dust. I was beginning to wonder who was going to be next. You know, which celebrity would be plucked from this flawed little world of ours. It's not to say a celebrity life is anymore important than mine or yours or anyone else's it's just that a lot have been dying this year. You can refer back to my previous "Goodbye..." posts to see some of the notable people.

But now we come to the very young actress Brittney Murphy. Yesterday morning she apparently collapsed, was rushed to the hospital and then died of cardiac arrest. Not enough information? I wouldn't worry the media will dig something up or create some rumour in a while (tabloid bastards). Anyway this caught me really off guard, but then so have the deaths of all of the other recent deaths. I think Murphy moreso however, because of how young she was: 32 years old. People are suspecting drug abuse may have been the cause. I mean cardiac arrest at that age is kind of suspicious. Plus dying during the week of Christmas, jesus that's terrible.

Brittney Murphy has had starring roles in several films I've seen and most of them I have enjoyed her in. Be it her really good performances in the very successful films like 8 Mile and Sin City or her really good performances in not so successful films like Just Married or The Dead Girl. My personal favorite however is Uptown Girls, that movie is just lovely. The first movie I remember seeing her in was probably Don't Say a Word, with a rock solid performance as a mental patient. Of course their have been things in her career I have not liked. Like her voice role as that god awful neice Luanne from King of the Hill, that I can never forgive her for. Then I haven't seen some of her early roles in films like Clueless or Girl, Interrupted. The point is that she was a good actress, not a great actress, but a good one. She reminded me a lot of Julliette Lewis in the roles they chose and their mannerisms: kind of out of it, like they were high or something. I don't know it was kind of funny.

What's strange is a few days ago I was actually wondering why she wasn't in more movies recently because she is a very good actress. Then this happens. As soon as I heard I knew I'd have to make a post because it really depresses me. In closing, I really enjoyed Brittney Murphy over the years and wish she hadn't have gone so soon like many of the others and in this season. May she rest in peace. Now my doors are open for any new names to Hollywood's body count.

This has been another mourning post from Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas.

No comments: