Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Black-speak"

"Brotha please!" - translation: Oh come on; yeah right or other variants

For those who think the title is racist, you're probably right. Black-speak is only the unpolite way of referring to Ebonics, which I also believe is a little racist. Oh right, for those who have not heard, Ebonics or the African American Vernacular English as it is clearly defined has been made an actual language. I'm just wondering if this is necessary.

Ebonics came to prominance during the days when Africans and African Americans were still enslaved, but since after their freedom it is has stuck around and apparently evolved just the same over time. But I don't quite think that because people have "unproper" word phrases, combinations, uses, colorful dialects, or just overall overkill of slang means that it should be a totally different language. Although I must admit it would be cool if Ebonics could be a foreign language course in schools (probably not, but just imagine). Ebonics really is just highly developed slang, and there whole groups of people all over who have variations of that. Are the Cockney speaking a totally different language too, I mean if Ebonics is pretty much black-speak than I guess Cockney is pretty much British-speak. I'm at an impasse at which speak is more fun.

I really don't know what kind of worldly or national effect this could bring about, probably not a very big one. I'm not even sure if this is correct. My sources could be wrong. It does sound a bit too ridiculous I think. Who knows there could be some positive things to Ebonics becoming a language: if I learned it I wouldn't have to keep rewinding scenes when I watch The Wire. It just goes to show that the 21st Century is becoming an interesting and undeniably absurd century every day. Oh 2oth, how I long for thee. I suppose it could be worse, my mom was born in 1969, right after Woodstock and the Moon Landing and a galore of other cool shit. What do I get? iPods, iPhones, iMac (think), iHome, fuckin' iPads, and now apparently Ebonics. Hardy-goddamn-har.

This has been Your Modest Guru's most racially ambiguous joint. Thanks for reading.

No comments: