Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What may come of dreams

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING THE BLOGGER KNOWN AS YOUR MODEST GURU SAYS IN THIS POST IS PURELY SPECULATIVE, SATIRICAL OR USED TO MESS WITH PEOPLE'S HEADS. YOUR MODEST GURU DOES NOT PARTAKE IN DRUGUSE WHILE WRITING TO HIS FANS IN FEAR THAT HE IS MIMICKING RENOWNED GONZO JOURNALIST HUNTER S. THOMPSON. ANYONE OFFENDED BY THE FOLLOWING NONSENSICAL RANT SHOULD EITHER STOP READING OR SIMPLY GROW A SENSE OF HUMOUR.

"Dreams are the touchstones of our characters." - Henry David Thoreau

No, I am not familiar with the work of Henry David Thoreau. I got it off of Wikiquote two minutes ago. I do that with almost every one of my precious quotes, and the majority of my information and facts comes from Wikipedia and Youtube sources. So now you can clearly see I am almost totally transparent. How's that for modesty you cocksu--

(YOU MUST EXCUSE YMG. IT IS MEDICATION TIME. MEDICATION TIME.)

I have to apologize for what happened before, I replaced the uppers I got from the guy on the corner with downers my struggling artist friend Lionel supplied. Fortunately I am now stoned out of my mind, and therefore I am in the right mindset to do this post. In this post I will be giving you my input on funny existential things like the mysteries of the human mind, dreams, hallucinogenic drug research, and tons of other gibberish inspired by my current state. Let's begin,

First off I just have to say, I LOVE spam and green beans. It's the goods. Mmmmm......

Anyways, dreams have always perplexed human beings. Some people try to find meaning within them. Most people think it is just their imaginations working overtime while they sleep. Some people believe dreams are a passage way into different realms and reveal knowledge beyond human comprehension. I honestly don't know. I think it's just one of those mysteries of life that we may never solve.

What spawned these thoughts, aside from my recent viewing of the cinematic mindfuck pleasure that was Inception, was my recent introduction to the widely popular hallucinogenic Dimethyltryptamine (tee hee, try saying that ten times fast). This drug can be found in plants and certain areas within animals and humans. It is believed the drug, abbreviated DMT, plays a key role in dreams, near-death experiences, and supposed alien sightings. It is something of a brief trip to the road of your own subconscious. The experience is different for everyone, but many come back with similar and positive viewpoints on it. Whatever visceral world they are brought to leaves them with a sort of renewed sense of the world. I won't try DMT anytime soon for a number of reasons. 1, because I need to start taking actual psychedelic drugs before I try something this big. 2, because DMT is the most expensive psychedelic out there. 3, because a user of DMT has said it is not wise to try DMT until you have a clear understanding of how things in the world work.

Though the prospect that DMT reveals a deeper part of a person's subconscious in a sort of waking dream rather than vivid hallucinations raises an old theory of mine. A quick trip that apparently supplies people with some further insight into the world and maybe even the universe itself. If the average human being uses 10% of their brain, with NASA scientists and various other Einsteins using slightly more, and with all we've accomplished with that 10 to 15 or 20 percents, than what would happen if we were able to tap in to the full hundred percent? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that DMT can grant that kind of brain power (if I'm right, at the very most it only shows a glimpse into our full potential). But if by some miracle we were able to harness that knowledge, human beings could possibly leave behind any primordial part and be like these godlike beings. It would be as if for the past few thousand years we've existed we've had this unfathomable power locked inside of us. But I guess that saying that is kind of like saying the mind is a prison for our true essence. Maybe that's what god or deities like it are, if there are such things, an essence rather than something with a mind. I don't know, I'm getting too what iffy about all this. Just a theory.

I never like to believe anyone's "the meaning of it all theories" because really I think if there is a meaning of it all we aren't supposed to know what it is. And if I did know, it probably wouldn't make me any happier or sadder about my life. No drug, no dream, no one can give me any sense that there is some way someone like me can be blessed with knowledge such as that. I never liked the idea that when we die we either go to a paradise if we were obedient and devout or a prison if we were disobedient and bad, nor do I like the idea that our minds evaporate and our bodies just rot in the dirt. When I die, if anything has to happen, I would only like to be shown the answer to that question: the meaning of it all. After that I think I'd become one with the universe and that's what happens when we die. Still, I don't really know. Can't know.

I will only say dream on and don't think as much about this as I obviously do. It makes your head hurt.

This has been a little trip down the rabbit hole with Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Your Modest Guru said...

I ain't preaching. I'm just theorizing. Thanks for the comment, Wu Ting.