Monday, June 29, 2009

Celebrity Deaths...WTF

"Verse, fame, and beauty are intense indeed, but Death intenser - Death is life's high mead."
- John Keats

I have to get this off my chest now before it happens to someone else. The past few years have been very bad for celebrities. Mainly because they all seem to be dying sporadically. I will give you examples of this.

A few years ago I was reading Slaughterhouse Five, it was morning and, holding the book in my hand, I saw on the news that Kurt Vonnegut had died. I was shocked and had for long felt that I was somehow responsible. Awhile after that another famous author kicked the bucket, Michael Crichton who wrote my beloved Jurassic Park. I think Death realized not many people knew these names so he decided to start hitting people in Hollywood's limelight. Owen Wilson almost killed himself, thank god it was only almost. Young actor Brad Renfro died of an OD. Probably one of the most memorable was the passing of Heath Ledger after he had just had a career defining role in the Dark Knight. Later after that two actors I adored died, Bernie Mac and Paul Newman died, Mac from illness and Newman from cancer. Actress Natascha Richadrson also died of injuries from a skiing accident. Several weeks ago David Carridine, known for Kill Bill, Kung Fu, and Death Race 3000, was found dead under rather embarrassing circumstances. But lately what's been the subject of all news covering four celebrity deaths: This started with TV personality Ed McMahon, than Farrah Fawcett after a long battle of cancer, than cherished musician Michael Jackson, and now TV salesman Billy Mays.

I feel ashamed that I only really Ed McMahon by name, but I'm sure I will familiarize myself with him soon so that I may respect him a bit more. Farrah Fawcett was well known to me for her sparkly personality and beauty and the news of her passing made me feel bad, especially for her Husband Ryan O'Neal. To be honest I found Billy Mays to be charming but annoying as I've never liked infomericals. But now that he's gone I find he will be one of the annoying things that you can't really imagine living without. Worst of all was the passing of beloved pop sensation Michael Jackson, a man whose life has been music since he was in elementary school. From the time I knew what music was Michael Jackson has been a symbol for it that I knew. There was always something about him you could like: His freakishly awesome dance moves, his songs, his charitable work, his upbeat personality. He was not without controversy of course as he had gone through various degrees of plastic surgery, balcony dangled one baby, and was forever slandered by child molestation allegations of which I do not believe.

These were all great people, but the question stands. Why the fuck are they dying like this? I mean it seems just a tad weird that so many of them would die in such a small span of time. Is it some sort of sign. I don't know maybe it all is just random and coincidental. That still doesn't change the fact that it is overly depressing. I'm just afraid for who bites the dust next.

This has been a suspicious celebrity salute from Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading.

No comments: