Monday, June 8, 2009

Indiana, America's Toe

"...She grew up tall and she grew up right with them Indiana boys on those Indiana nights..."
- Tom Petty

For my first blog I'll simply rant about my place of origin. I know my opinions and views may vary as I age. I'm fifteen and have lived nowhere else so far. The only relavence I've found Indiana has with the rest of the country is a single highway that connects with it. Of course it's not always boring...I mean James Woods stopped at the Gas Grill just a short distance from where I lived one time. That's cool, I suppose.

The people are give or take. I'll take the friendly ones that are good for conversation and give the countless rednecks whose attention span seems to only exist within a universe of sports, quadbikes, and Chuck Norris television shows. And God help you if you say a derogatory word of Chuck Norris, who might as well be Christ's first cousin to them (he does look like an americanized version of him). Religion and Rednecks seem to go hand in hand in my area. If you aren't one of the two you're an outcast. I'm neither of the two, and to my surprise I'm not hanging from a tree. A lot of people however are friendly and just as intelligent as I am (not to say that I am really smart or anything). It's good and relieving to get into a deep thinking conversation with someone other than my parents. And very popular people have come out of this little spot such as Michael Jackson, Larry Bird, John Mellencamp, and Kurt Vonnegut (a favorite writer of mine).

I have lived in more than a few towns in my short life. I currently live in a town infamous for being the former victim of a tornado. Yay. Still the scenery of this state is what I really like about it. There are nice fields. Due to a lack of big city lights, we get some really beautiful sunrises and sunsets, night skies and stars. Should another tornado come swirling into my town and kill me and everyone else around, I'll at least have a helluva last horizon.

Indiana is a state of travel. A state of farmers and working families. Where people strive to be fair and sometimes surprise you. Sometimes you might have to pay the price by meeting viciously ignorant people, but still I wouldn't hesitate to stop off for a little while. I have my doubts about this place right now. It'll probably be strange when I leave.

This has been a few random thoughts from Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Your Modest Guru said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I really thought your take on Chuck Norris was hilarous! Your whole post was great, but that part really cracked me up!