Monday, August 31, 2009

The Road Review

"And perhaps beyond those shrouded swells another man did walk with another child on the dead gray sands. Slept but a sea apart on another beach among the bitter ashes of the world or stood in thier rags lost to the same indifferent sun." - Text from The Road

I just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic saga The Road and I must say that it is a fine book. As a modern novel, it could be one of the greats. Many people seem to think so, as it was even graced with the Pulitzer Prize Award for fiction. It is a harrowing and thought provoking story that engrosses the reader. It's one you can't stop thinking about really.

I first became aware of Cormac McCarthy after watching the 2007 Best Picture winner No Country for Old Men, an adaptation of one of his latest works. I was amazed by that story and the depth to it. I'm often told that the books are always better than their adaptations. If that is true than No Country for Old Men is probably fantastic. I felt ashamed that I didn't read the book first, as I feel about many adaptations these days. When I heard The Road was going to be made into a film, I decided to read the book first. Family members of mine gave it high praise, so I was happy to read it.

The story follows a man and his son, both unnamed, travelling along a desolate road in a post apocalyptic world. All they have is a cart packed with few supplies, a gun with few bullets, and each other. The terrible event that caused the devastation of humanity is not known. The last denizens of mankind usually come in the form of violent cannibals, thieves, or the half dead. They starve, scavenge, hide, and at times confront situations that test their strengths and morality. The story is told with such vivid detail that you can almost taste the ash in the air of that tragic world. It is at times heartbreaking or hopeful and it is always haunting. McCarthy uses a great amount of prose in his writing, almost to the point where the book could be a soft ballad. It's some of the best I've ever read, than again I'm only now really getting into reading regularly. Even so, I think the critics would agree with me.

The themes of the novel, as with most novels, are open for discussion. You can interpret it however you want. McCarthy has stated that it is a reminder that, in these times of turmoil, "life is pretty damn good". I can dig that. Sure things are looking bad now, but it's better than having to walk the road for an unknown eternity.

Great book, good read, worthy purchase.

This has been a modest book review from Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading.

No comments: