Monday, August 31, 2009

What's up with Family Guy?

"Get your fat ass back here!" - Herbert the Pervert

Now don't get me wrong, I think Family Guy is one of the funniest animated shows around. But, and this is just what I've been thinking, I think the show is starting to get a little tiresome. This is on account of many things that just bother me particularly.

1. Characters:
Let's start off with Peter, the standard literally retarded overweight patriach of the Griffin family. Granted early on Peter started almost exactly like Homer Simpson, but if Homer Simpson went too far. Peter is an obliviously offensive and obnoxious fat american who couldn't stop doing the wrong thing if his life depended on it. But he also retained some of that learning from mistakes trick, more or less. It went downhill for me gradually after he was diagnosed as mentally retarded. This is mainly because after this he accepted that and made it cause to unapologetically do all the horrifically stupid things he would usually do only out of carelessness. I can forgive someone who is stupid and oblivious, but when he's stupid, knows it and just doesn't care about what he does that's just unlikable. In this since Peter is no longer lovable but just a giant retarded douchebag. It seems like they can't make up their minds with Chris, the always dangerously retarded son. He seems to lapse in and out of an intelligent state of mind.

I always seem to have a problem with the women on these animated shows, mostly because they are often too stereotyped. And my god was Lois a stereotype. The stay at home, loving, supportive mother and wife. They made her character more interesting by making her an agressive, premiscious, and sometimes lethal former rave girl, which was fun. She's slightly more bitchy these days. And as for Meg, well everyone else on the show pretty much sums up my thoughts. I can't even feel sorry for her, Meg is a bitch.

Brian stays pretty much the same except that he is even more of a douchebag. He always was high maintenance, self righteous, overly liberal prick, but now he's just kind of unbearable.

Stewie, arguably the most interesting character, has changed dramatically. He started out as a diabolical evil genius who just so happened to be an infant. He's always trying to kill his mother, or anyone who seems to be a nuisance. He was interesting at first due to him suffering the setbacks of having a baby's body and a sophisticated adult intellect. He seemed to have cooled down now thanks to Brian, who I guess he considers to be a best friend and/or crush. That's another thing I don't like, not to be homophobic, but they are just playing the whole "is he gay" thing all wrong. After a failed play marriage Stewie seemed to be going over more to men but has also courted other women. He isn't an evil genius, but he's still homicidal. He's just an off character now.

2. Pushing liberalism
I'm a liberal man myself, but my god if they don't try to jam it down our throats. Most of the people who watch Family Guy probably won't get all the political humour or the messages. The same thing happened to The Simpsons awhile ago, but they discarded most of it pretty quick. Maybe Family Guy will follow suit. It's like a harlaquin public service announcement, unlike Modest PSA's however.

3. Humour
I know an element of Family Guy is considerably graphic humour that always pleases the audiences but it seems that it's going into more of a situation where they are trying to gauge your shock. I don't know how to react to that exactly. It's still funny, of course, but just weird.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just growing out of Family Guy. Unless it blows me away with the next season.

This has been a disjointed thought from Your Modest Guru. Thanks for reading.

No comments: